Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thing #12 Getting to Know You--MySpace and Facebook

Wow--I'm feeling deeply disturbed now. I searched for friends on MySpace. I can't believe the stuff I saw. Two things in particular stand out in my mind. People on MySpace get to choose their "Headline"--kind of like their message to the world. In my short searches (less than 15 minutes), I saw two headlines by two separate guys, "Dead Girls Don't Say No" and "There are two types of people in the world: Those who rape, and those who get raped."

You can find me on MySpace by going to http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=184214250. Feel free to send me a "Friend" request!!

But, if you want to see a cool MySpace done by a library, check out Denver Public's at http://www.myspace.com/denver_evolver. This is one of the positives of MySpace. It lets us, as the library, reach teens where teens are (if we can get the support of our larger organization--that is, the City.)

Facebook is much more positive. I found three friends and it was fun. I'm glad Facebook is giving an alternative to those of us who find MySpace to be bordering on offensive at best.

2 comments:

Alice in Libraryland said...

That is so disgusting about what you found on MySpace!! I did Facebook--I'm under Christene Howley, if you're planning to continue with it. We can be "friends"! I'll look for you next time I am on. flutiemim.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well said.