Wednesday, January 9, 2008

RSS Exercise

Here's the link to my blog subscriptions: http://www.bloglines.com/public/az-freebird. I LOVED this exercise. It was as difficult as promised--the blog posting said it was the most difficult of all our exercises and my experience is that this statement is true!! However, I learned so much that it was definitely worth it.

I found out that I can subscribe to my friends' blogs--which is awesome. One of my closest friends has a blog that I love to read, and now I will know when she has a new posting. I also learned that I can subscribe to my friends photo albums to find out when they post new pictures. How cool is that?!!?

And it really is an easy way to choose your news. I must admit that celebrity "news" sickens me. I much prefer to know what is going on in Darfur or with the Middle East. Now, I can simply subscribe to what interests me. No more Britney for me!! YEAH!!!!! Instead, I can read up on the latest Wired stories or what's hot from Scientific American.

So how do I see libraries using RSS technology? Well, we can subscribe to the feeds of local news, world news, book reviews, etc., in order to stay up on the questions we are most likely to get asked by our customers. We can also offer RSS feeds on our website to keep our customers up with our latest books, programs, movies, etc. I'm sure there are lots of other great things libraries could do--I'm just scratching the surface here.

No comments: